Made from a Sainsbury's carrier bag

Pages

Monday, 24 December 2012

Baked Ham

Well it is Christmas Eve and I have a lovely ham baking in the oven.  I soaked it overnight and boiled it this morning with a bay leaf,  a couple of cloves and a few sprigs of thyme.
I could have thrown the cooking water away but it is full of flavour so I have made a big pan of soup which I aim to freeze to use up in the New Year.  I simply chucked in a couple of carrots, a large onion, some potatoes and a sweet potato that has been lurking in the back of the cupboard for ages and I aim to add a few bits from the ham when I lift it out of the oven. When I defrost it i will throw any leftover cooked veg and a handful of pasta into the soup and make sure it is all cooked nicely before I dish it up. That will be one less meal to think about and there should be enough to feed a small crowd if I bake a couple of loaves of nice crusty bread to share.

Have a lovely Christmas everyone and please don't throw away any food.  Freeze it or make soup. Out in the world  people are starving and it is so unfair that we can afford to waste so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment